Cloud Foundry Platform Sees Strong Enterprise Growth
Author: Jil Backstrom
Leaders in Industry and Innovation Are Adopting the Platform and Joining the Project to Further Its Development
SAN FRANCISCO, CA –(Marketwired – January 21, 2016) – Cloud Foundry Foundation, home of the industry-standard platform for cloud applications, today celebrated its first anniversary as the platform continues to gain rapid adoption in the market. With thousands of organizations using Cloud Foundry worldwide and more than $455 Million in shared development invested, Cloud Foundry enters 2016 as one of the industry’s fastest-growing and most adopted Cloud Application Platform.
- Seven of the world’s leading commercial cloud offerings (CenturyLink’s AppFog, HPE Helion Cloud Foundry, Huawei FusionStage, IBM Bluemix, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, SAP HANA® Cloud Platform and Swisscom Application Cloud) are the first products to receive the Cloud Foundry PaaS Certification — a program announced in December.
- The platform has become a critical part of infrastructure for vertical industry cloud providers and leaders including GE Predix for Industrial IoT, BNY Mellon’s Nexen financial services cloud, and Huawei FusionStage for telecommunications.
- The Cloud Foundry platform is seeing strong adoption in the Government Cloud space, supporting projects such as the US Government’s 18F project — which runs its cloud.gov service on Cloud Foundry, China’s Smart City Initiatives, the UK Government and Korea’s NIA.
- Cloud Foundry is also favored by a growing number of nonprofits and research institutes including Kaiser Permanente and Oregon Health Sciences University that are looking for platforms offering full freedom of choice across associated providers.
- Cloud Foundry and Cloud Foundry-based solutions are quickly becoming the platform of choice for an ever-growing list of leaders in industry and innovation including Ford Motor Company, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Citi, RBC, Garmin, Angie’s List, Capital One, Allstate, Philips, NBC Universal, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, dorma+kaba and others.
At Cloud Foundry, a collective of industry leaders has joined together to fundamentally change the way everyone does business
said Cloud Foundry Foundation Chair John Roese, CTO, EMC Corp.
Looking back, we’ve accomplished something that no individual company could have ever done alone and it’s rewarding to see huge progress in our effort to liberate app developers with true cloud portability and agility.
“Our first year as a Foundation was tremendous,” said Cloud Foundry CEO Sam Ramji,
We have research underway now that is validating the economics we’re seeing around this platform, and there is no doubt that the work that’s being done with Cloud Foundry is driving a new era of continuous business innovation. Our first year was monumental and we’re only getting started.
- In February open source and software industry veteran Sam Ramji was named Foundation CEO.
- EMC CTO John Roese was appointed Board Chair.
- In December the Foundation announced the Cloud Foundry PaaS Certification program, the industry’s only certification program designed to establish reliable portability across PaaS products in multi-vendor, multi-cloud environments.
- The Foundation grew to 55 members, entering 2016 with a growth pace of a new member organization every two weeks.
- New members added in 2015 included Cisco, Telstra, RBC, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Citi, Bloomberg, BNY Mellon, CA, Honeywell, SUSE and Hitachi.
- Released a new version of its elastic runtime layer, including support for pushing Docker images into the platform and support for .NET applications running on Windows hosts.
- The Cloud Foundry Garden project has begun work to integrate the runC library being produced by the Open Container Initiative.
- Microsoft contributed and is maintaining the BOSH Azure Cloud Provider Interface.
Read full article: finance.yahoo.com/news/cloud-foundry-platform-sees-strong-231023703.html